Become a US citizen with a Green Card
Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions an immigrant
Holders of the Green Card can qualify for U.S. citizenship after living in the US for five years.
If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you can apply for citizenship after three years.
To become a U.S. citizen, you must :
- Be at least 18 years old when you apply.
- Be able to read, write and speak basic English.
- Renew your Green Card if it will expire within six months or if it has
- Have spent a minimum of 30 months in the US within the last five years (18
months within the last three years if married to a U.S. citizen)
- Be of good moral character
- Respect the United States Constitution (violations of the law)
- Have sufficient knowledge of American history and government
If your are eligible to become a U.S. citizen you must complete and sign Form N-400 and submit documents to demonstrate your eligibility for naturalization.
You can get an overview of all the necessary documents here: